In 1899, under the leadership of John K. Brown, a small group of Baptists met for organized worship in a large stone school building at Sixth and Grand in Ponca City. This group named their congregation The First Missionary Baptist Church and received a church charter on September 28, 1901. The charter members are Mr. and Mrs. O.H. Hastens, Mr. H. Padgett, Mrs. J.A. Doty, Mrs. Mary Gray, Mrs. Sylvia Hoyt, Mr. W.F. Doty, Dr. L.C. and Mrs. Cornelia A. (Mills) Sweet and their son, William, and Mrs. Cornelia Williams.
The Little White Church, as it is affectionately known, was constructed in the 200 block of South Fifth Street in 1902-1903, without utilities. The church was remodeled in 1911, and replaced by a big red brick church building in 1924.
The Red Brick Church was planned at the corner of Fifth and Oklahoma. To make room for this new three-story building the little white church was removed. This building was destroyed by fire on January 24, 1949.
Groundbreaking for a new three-story building was held on August 28, 1949. On October 1, 1950, more than 1,200 persons filled the new church to capacity for a dedicatory morning service. This building still stands today (Assembly Center).
The members voted to change the name of First Missionary Baptist Church to First Baptist Church at the regular monthly business meeting in January 1951.
The East Educational Building was constructed in 1967 at Sixth and Oklahoma. The three story building currently houses church office, the Williamsburg Parlor, a small chapel, nursery and day care facilities, and numerous class and meeting rooms.
The Worship Center was completed in 1987 and seats approximately 1,500. The new worship center included a 92 seat choir loft, seating for 914 at ground level, and 502 in the balcony. The building also includes a large choir rehearsal room, music staff offices, and additional classroom space.