Last week a few hundred people gathered at First Baptist Church Moore to pray for our nation, revival, and spiritual awakening. We worshiped and prayed for six hours. We asked God to change us, to change our nation, and to open the eyes of the lost that they might be saved through faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ. The following are the First Five thoughts I have after spending a week thinking about that prayer time:
1. God is worthy of all glory and all of our praise. God may very well by judging our nation right now. But there remains little doubt that God has granted His people mercy. We may not always understand it, but God has a glorious plan. And that glorious plan is intended for one purpose: to show the glory of God.
2. We CANNOT program revival or spiritual awakening. It must be God initiated. So we prayed and continue to pray “Come Spirit of God, fall fresh on me.”
3. We MUST repent. And I’m not talking about “THOSE immoral folks”. It’s God’s people who need to repent. Pastors and parishioners alike must be cleansed in order to be used for God’s glory. Judgement begins with the house of God.
4. We MUST pray for the lost. By name. List them. Pray for their salvation. Pray for conviction. Pray their eyes will be opened to the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Pray together with other believers for the salvation of common friends. And WHEN they are saved, God will IGNITE the Church to pray for the lost. Who are you praying for? Have you written their names down? I have four names sitting on my desk. I pray for them every day and believe God will save them.
5. We MUST disciple believers. My friend Blake Gideon, pastor of FBC Edmond, recommended the book “Firefall 2.0″. It is a history of revival and spiritual awakenings. Since the time of Christ every great move of God has been fundamentally characterized by two renewals: a renewal of God’s people to fervently pray, and a renewal to gather in small groups for the purpose of discipleship. This is not Sunday School. Two or three people gathering regularly to study the Bible TOGETHER, to memorize Scripture TOGETHER, and to pray TOGETHER. Get in a group. Start a group. Not a Bible study watching a video teacher – a group that prays and memorizes and holds each other accountable and reads the Word together.
We need revival and spiritual awakening. America needs the church in America to wake up! This mess has happened on our watch. Be a part of the solution by allowing God to use you for His glory. That is my First Five.