In 1899, under the leadership of John K. Brown, a small group of Baptists met for organized worship in a large stone school building at Sixth and Grand in Ponca City. This group named their congregation The First Missionary Baptist Church and received a church charter on September 28, 1901. In January 1951, members voted to change the name to First Baptist Church.
Through the years, First Baptist Church has unashamedly proclaimed the gospel of Jesus Christ to those in the Ponca City area. As a result, our church has funded missions efforts at the local, state, and international level and planted numerous congregations across the Ponca City area (many of which are still active):
- Ponca Indian Baptist Church (1929)
- Liberty Baptist Church (1934)
- Osage Heights Baptist Church (1936)
- Sunset Baptist Church (1937)
- Marland Baptist Church (1939)
- Southside Baptist Church – now Providence Baptist Church (1955)
- Northeast Baptist Church (1958)
- Oak Grove Baptist Church (1977)
Still a vibrant community of faith, First Baptist Church is dedicated to making disciples of Jesus in the Ponca City area and around the world. We are moving forward, advancing the kingdom of God and we hope you’ll partner with us as we continue to proclaim the gospel of Jesus to all who will listen!